Fractal Design is a company that has been in the computer case business for over 20 years. The R5 Blackout Edition was released on 11/2/18 and it’s their best looking case yet. It comes with a pair of front panel USB 3.0 ports, two side panels which can be removed entirely from the top, bottom or sides so you have open space to build your system inside the chassis! You’ll also find four preinstalled Fractal Design fans at each corner of this beast come pre-configured with SpeedFan settings for optimized cooling performance when gaming or working away from an air conditioner!
The “fractal design define r5 review” is a PC case that has been designed by Fractal Design. The R5 Blackout Edition is the most recent version of the case. It is very popular with many gamers and enthusiasts because it offers great cooling, looks, and value for money.
PCBA’s Rating for the Fractal R5 Blackout Case
- Quality of Construction
The R5 Blackout Edition case from Fractal Design is sleek and simple on the exterior, but it’s all about choices on the inside. This computer box, designed for maximum configurability, is a solid investment that will endure for years.
Any links on this page that take you to Amazon items are affiliate links. PCBA receives money on qualifying purchases as an Amazon Associate. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
For years, Fractal Design has been producing high-quality, sleek-looking cases. We chose to check out the Define R5 Blackout Edition, the newest iteration of their famous Define series cases.
The Define series R5 blackout edition case from Fractal Design is a sleek, soundless, and capacious case that will last you a long time, no matter what build you place inside it. Its Scandinavian style exudes quality, and the case’s configurability and sturdy construction make it particularly appealing.
The R5 casing is already available in a variety of colors (white, titanium, and black), but Fractal Design created the blackout edition in response to customer demands for a spin-off option on the black case.
The standard R5 black case is completely black, although it features white fans, expansion slot covers, and hard drive tray mounts. All of these components are black in the blackout edition casing, making the whole case pure black. Overall, it seems to be rather sophisticated.
The R5 blackout edition is similar to previous R5 cases in the series, with the exception of slight color changes on specific case components. It includes:
- For optimal sound absorption, the casing is lined with high-density sound-proofing material.
- For usage in water-cooled systems, extensive cooling support suitable with a variety of radiator sizes.
- Fan slot covers that don’t need any tools to install enable for spare slot covering or quick installation of extra fans.
- Two Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 140mm fans with minimal noise.
- Dust filters for the front and bottom air intakes provide a dust-free cabin.
- To fit any workstation, a configurable front door with dual side mounting is available.
- Two dedicated SSD mounts are located underneath the motherboard tray and may be installed and removed without the need of any tools.
- Relocatable HDD cage with excellent ventilation that can hold up to eight 3.5″ or 2.5″ hard drives.
- Optical disk drive cage that may be removed.
- The left side panel has a Fast Release System that allows for quick and simple access within the case.
- A three-speed fan controller is included and accessible from the front panel.
- Side panel with a viewing glass is available (option).
- Compatibility with ATX, Micro ATX, and Mini ITX motherboards
- Supports CPU heatsink coolers with a height of up to 180mm.
- PSUs up to 300mm or ATX PSUs up to 190/170mm (with a bottom 120/140mm fan added) (when not using any bottom fan)
- Graphics cards up to 310mm in length (with the top HDD cage fitted); or graphics cards up to 440mm in length (without the top HDD cage installed) (with the top HDD cage removed)
- Behind the motherboard plate, there should be 20–35 mm of room for cable management.
- There are seven expansion slots.
- 2 x 5.25-inch bays (removable cage)
- 8 × 3.5′′ or 2.5′′ HDD slots
- 2 x 2.5′′ SSD Dedicated Positions
- ModuVentTM fan cover plates (one on each side and three on the top)
- 9 different fan positions
- 2 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 140mm fans in all black
- Front and bottom fan slots with filters
- Velcro straps are included for convenient cable management.
- Due to the dual hinge mounting method, the front door may open in any direction.
- The left-hand side panel includes Quick Release System allows for simple access while maintaining a secure closing.
- Captive thumbscrews on the right side panel ensure that no thumbscrews are lost.
- Dimensions of the case (WxHxD): 232 x 451 x 521 mm / 9.13′′ x 17.76′′ x 20.51′′
- 232 x 462 x 531 mm / 9.13′′ x 18.9′′ x 20.91′′ (with feet, screws, and protrusions)
- 10.6 kg (23.4 lb) net weight
System of cooling
When it comes to cooling, Fractal Design designed the R5 to be very adaptable. There are a plethora of methods to set up your air conditioning system, with slots for up to 9 fans. The following are the specifications for fan placement options:
- 2 x 120/140 mm fans in the front (One all-black Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan with a 1000 RPM speed is included.)
- 1 × 120/140 mm rear fan (Included: 1 all-black Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)
- 3 x 120/140 mm fans on the top (not included)
- 2 × 120/140 mm fans at the bottom (not included)
- 1 × 120/140 mm fan on one side (not included)
- Fan controller with three steps for up to three fans
- Bottom and front intakes include dust filters.
Compatibility with water cooling
The R5 also provides configurability for customers using a water cooling system. The compatibility requirements below show that it can support a variety of radiator sizes.
- Front: radiators with thicknesses of 360, 280, 240, 140, and 120 mm (requires removal of drive bays)
- Radiators on the top row are 420, 360, 280, 240, 140, and 120 mm. (On 420, 280, and 140 mm radiators, a thickness restriction of 55mm applies to both the radiator and the fan.) (The ODD bay must be removed for 420 and 360 mm radiators.)
- Radiator (120 or 240 mm) at the bottom (Use of radiators in the bottom position limits the PSU length to 165 mm)
- Radiator in the back: 120 or 140 mm
Front-end user interface
- There are two USB 3.0 ports.
- There are two USB 2.0 ports.
- audio input/output
- White LED on the power button
- White LED for HDD activity
- Button to Reset
The Fractal R5 Blackout Edition Case’s Final Thoughts
We wondered what the difference was between the R5 blackout edition and the ordinary Fractal Design R5 case when it initially came out.
The alterations are modest, but the blackout edition features all black colored fans, PCI slot covers, and hard drive tray mounts, giving you a computer case that is actually fully black.
We believe the R5’s features are fantastic, and it’s doubtful that this case won’t work with any combination of hardware. Because of the customizable modules, there are a lot of cooling setups to choose from, and the quality is excellent. It comes highly recommended.
The “fractal design define r4” is a case that was designed for the Fractal Design R5 Blackout Edition. The case features a full side window, and an open-air design. It also has room for up to five fans, and it comes with two pre-installed fans.
- fractal design define r5 airflow
- fractal design r5 glass panel
- fractal design define r7
- fractal design define r5 manual